Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Blog for Week 10/14/15 - Coraline

Prompt: Describe the Main Characters
Coraline by: Neil Gaiman
Pages Read: 86
                              
      Coraline, is a book about a girl who has recently moved into a pink palace with some " unique " people living in the other apartments. She finds a shiny key and a little door that fits the lock. What is behind this door will change her life forever. 

     Coraline ( the antagonist ) is mostly so far a boring, dull, and characterless girl, but on the side has a passion for exploring and adventure when she can find a chance to explore and be adventurous. The part where I am currently reading her characterization seems to change during the conflict between her and her other mother. You see her explorer side of her coming to use and she seems to be scared. To me it looks like this fear will change her character and scar her forever. 

     Of course there has to be a villain or problem in a story. Well that villain is  " The other Mother ". She like all female villains, is an evil witch that challenges Coraline by having her use her exploration skills. She is a mean, evil, and demented woman. She really tries to hurt Coraline mentally during this conflict. This is how I think The Other Mother's actions will maybe make Coraline face tough decisions and problems that will change her attitude towards the end of the story.

     In this story Coraline has a sidekick I should say, sort of like a helpful Robin if that makes you comfortable. This sidekick is " The Cat ". I bet what you're wondering is if this cat has a name but why he doesn't have a name is because as he says " Cats don't use names ". This cat to me is very sly, clever, and wise. He seems very educated for a cat, he seems to be like one of those know at all people accept he's a cat. He talks very smart and sly. You might think a cat like this can be very witty, but the cat is surprisingly very kind to Coraline especially during this hard time she is having with  " The other Mother ".



7 comments:

  1. Great blog Andrew! You explained the characters and the conflicts in the story really well. Ever since I saw this book on the bookshelves I've been wanting to read it. Awesome job Andrew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great descriptions of the book Andrew. I can really tell what the book is like by reading this. Just remember to put some commas in your paragraphs, because you need some more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked how you were very descriptive when it came to describing Coraline. I read this book a couple years ago I didn't very much enjoy it but the parts you are talking about were my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked how you described the cat and all the characters. I watched the movie but never knew there was a book. I would like to read the book now that you posted this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who knew there was a Coraline book out there? Anyways, good blog! You explained the characters mighty fine, along with the conflict. I would most likely read this book, it sounds like a classic folktale story. Thank you Andrew!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good blog! You did very good putting your own personality to the blog. A question I have is how this book compares to the movie (which scared me in the past and today)
    A suggestion is to put a few commas here and there, but besides that, you did really good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know Coraline was a book I only knew about the movie. Your book seems very interesting. When you were talking about the cat I think you meant know it all, but you put "...know at all..."

    ReplyDelete