Saturday, March 12, 2016

Poetry Reflection

Now that we have done poetry for over a month, I feel that poetry has it's importance, it's important in school. So far in my life, I did the most poetry in this class and all the poems and lessons that we learned were all different. It wasn't like the lessons and poems were boring, all of them were fun in their own way. You may not find poetry a vital part of your life, but it is a vital part of your life at school in this class.

 Honestly, I still think that poetry does not belong to everyone. Like I said, poetry may not be a vital part in everyones lives. It doesn't matter how long you go over in class, some kids still may not find it enjoyable. Maybe some poems that some kids had to do were hard for those certain kids. Mostly, kids may not like it because they probably think its boring, just based on what kids said before and what they say now that were finished with the lesson still think it's unenjoyable. That's how I know that poetry is not for everyone.

Of course everyones life is different, and different people have different experiences. Like Edgar Allen Poe for example, as you all know Edgar is not the most sane person in the world after viewing the Edgar Allen Poe web quest again. For a poet he is very creepy and insane. Now, what do you do you think make him insane. He is crazy for a reason, no one is just crazy. Poe is bizarre and insane because of his life. Edgar was crazy, alone, he had phycological issues and his life reflected on what he wrote in his poems and books, most of them were weird, crazy, creepy and they had so many other negative characteristics. After viewing some of his poems and researching on his life, this leads me to believe that poets life experiences do have an effect on their creations and that the poets life experiences are truly expressed through his or her creations.

Here is a poem about a tree. As you can see, the poem is quite short. When poets write their poems, mainly their poems structure is formed based on what they are writing and what the whole idea of the poem is about or is trying to get across the reader. If the poem is about a tree like this one, then maybe the poem will be formed into a tree of some sort. If the poem is depressing and is about sadness, then what I would think is that maybe the poem would look like a tear drop or just anything that symbolizes sadness. When I look at this poem I think "why is it so small?" "Why is it so short and why is the tree so short?" When I see the lines "a tiny tree, on a tiny table, with tiny lights, and a tiny star on top...." (just do you know, I put commas to crete a separation for different stanza of the poem) I think that maybe the poem is small because the poem is describing tiny objects like a tree, following up with other tiny objects that go on a tree at Christmas time. When the poet wrote this, he or she could have thought that maybe since the poem about the tree is talking about small things. Maybe these things should be described very briefly, then making the poem about the tree small. 
Here is another poem that is structured based on the main point if the poem. This is what I was talking about. Structures of poems are based on the poem. Like this poem with the apple. If I was going to change the formatting of the poem in a fun and cheerful way I would make the poe out of an apple. It makes sense because the poem is about apples so it wouldn't be irrelevant in any way to make my poem into a shape of an apple if I was writing the poem about apples. 



No comments:

Post a Comment